Underrail features an elaborate item crafting system. A vast majority of the armor, weapons and some other items encountered in the game are based on the crafting system, which also works as the random generation system. The player can craft the exact same items with the right blueprint and parts of identical quality.
To craft an item, you require three things:
- Blueprint of the item.
- Once you have obtained a blueprint and downloaded it to your wristpad, you can use it anywhere via your Crafting G menu.
- The crafting components specified in the blueprint.
- Relevant technological skills. (See Mechanics, Electronics, Chemistry, Biology, Tailoring for details on each skill)
- Skill requirements are derived from the components used, and their quality. Optional components increase total skill requirements by a percentage of the component's skill requirement.
Crafted vs generated items
Investing in crafting skills has the advantage of ensuring you always have the best and most varied items available to you.
- Some item enhancements are only available through crafting and not through the random item generator.
- Similarly, some components are available in higher quality by themselves than those used when generating loot items and merchant inventories.
- And finally, some items will be available only through crafting.
- Most armor, weapons and other equipment can only be found with 0-1 random enhancements instead of a full complement of desired enhancements.
- Falchion pistols, Impala SMGs, Chimera assault rifles, Spearhead sniper rifles and Cyclon crossbows don't appear in shops.
- Burrower Carapace, Psi Beetle Carapace, Siphoner Leather, Ancient Rathound Leather are some of the crafting-only armor components.
- Taser, Cloaking Device and Strider boots cannot be found as loot nor sold by merchants, or are very rare.
- Aegis, Focus Stim, Irongut, Jumping Bean and Trance medicines are not commonly sold either.
- The high quality and unique benefits of various Super Steel items are only available through crafting.
- Disassemble lets you break items down to their constituent components
- Armor Sloping improves crafted metal armors
- Ballistics improves crafted carrier vests
- Clothier improves crafted fabric armors
- Gun Nut improves crafted firearms
- Mad Chemist improves crafted chemical weapons
- Neurology improves crafted psi headbands
- Power Management improves crafted electronic devices
- Practical Physicist improves crafted energy weapons
- Skinner improves crafted leather armors