Underrail is an old school turn-based isometric indie role playing game that focuses on exploration and combat. It's inspired by western RPG classics such as Fallout, Arcanum, Neverwinter Nights and System Shock 2.
The game is set in a distant future, when the life on the Earth’s surface has long since been made impossible and the remnants of humanity now dwell in the Underrail, a vast system of metro station-states that, it seems, are the last bastions of a fading race.
The player takes control of one of the denizens of such a station-state whose life is about to become all that much more interesting and dangerous, as our protagonist is caught amidst the conflicting factions of the Underrail as they secretly but violently struggle for the Humanity's last gem of hope.
While there is a greater, sort of background plot that concerns the nature of time, the game is largely about the Underrail itself - its inhabitants, politics, strife, dangers, mysteries, as well as the player's place within all this.
- Great character customization possibilities through stats, skills, feats, items and more that allows for many different play-styles
- Tactical turn based combat that utilizes weapons, energy shields, grenades, psi abilities and more
- Vast underground world to explore: city states, abandoned building complexes, natural caverns, secret areas and more
- Elaborate item crafting system.
- During early development, Underrail was called Timelapse Vertigo